It’s been a busy week in the photography world, highlighted by the launch of the Sony a9 III. As the first full-frame CMOS sensor camera with a global shutter made for photography, we had to ask: is this the start of widespread adoption of the tech?
We would like to thank the PetaPixel podcast sponsor, OM SYSTEM! Get ready to celebrate the holidays with huge seasonal savings on OM SYSTEM cameras, lenses and more! Holiday promotions begin this Thursday, November 16th. Visit explore.omsystem.com/petapixel for the complete list of savings!
Beyond the wider implications of global shutters, Chris Niccolls, Jordan Drake, and Jaron Schneider answer some of your biggest questions about Sony’s new sensor technology including how it performs at high ISOs (and low ISOs), what problems beyond rolling shutter are actually solved by a global shutter sensor, who the camera will be best for, what some of the downsides of the camera are, and more.
It’s also been a very eventful week outside of Sony, including an update from the CEWE Photo Awards, another dramatic turn in the SanDisk Portable SSD saga, and the classic episodes of DigitalRev featuring Kai Wong have been taken offline. All this and more in this very packed episode of The PetaPixel Podcast!
Note and clarification from last week’s episode: Reuters and AP are both members of the Content Authenticity Initiative, our apologies for saying they were not.
We use Riverside to record The PetaPixel Podcast in our online recording studio.
We hope you enjoy the podcast and we look forward to hearing what you think. If you like what you hear, please support us by subscribing, liking, commenting, and reviewing! Every week, the trio go over comments on YouTube and here on PetaPixel, but if you’d like to send a message for them to hear, you can do so through SpeakPipe.
In This Episode
- 00:00 – Intro
- 06:59 – Clarification on last week’s episode
- 08:02 – CEWE Photo Awards has suspended the overall winner for “untrue and misleading information” but not for staging the photo
- 10:33 – Sony will finally add new features to some old cameras
- 15:06 – A photographer was handcuffed for loitering in Quebec City
- 23:41 – Data recovery expert says SanDisk Portable SSDs failures are due to hardware, SanDisk denies that.
- 27:59 – Alternatives to SanDisk to consider
- 28:12 – DigtitalRev’s entire video library with Kai Wong is gone
- 32:47 – Is the a9 III the start of the global shutter future?
- 1:01:13 – What have you been up to?
- 1:06:19 – Tech support
- 1:10:27 – Never read the comments