Satire: Work for Free and Eat!
Hey, professional and aspiring photographers! Are you tired of responding to attractive assignment offers only to find later that compensation for the work consists only of “valuable exposure” for your work? And then you have to explain that you can’t feed your family on exposure?
Well fret no more. with the new Exposure Helper™, you can feed your family on exposure, allowing you to accept all the free assignments you want!
- Accept an unpaid gig and work really hard at it, so you can develop a reputation as a co-operative, forward-thinking team player.
- When you’re finished, take your box of Exposure Helper™ and find a busy stretch of urban sidewalk.
- Open box and hold firmly.
- Extend box to passers-by while asking “Spare change?” “Help an up-and-coming artist?” and similar phrases.
- After eight hours or more, collect your alms and enquire about value meals at the fast-food outlet of your choice.
Yes, it’s just that easy to adapt to the “content wants to be free” economy! So what are you waiting for? Try Exposure Helper™ now!
Image credits: Photo illustration created with Happy Photographer by Reid MacDonald, Happy Photographer Day! by Julian Coutinho, and 20-minutes of totally amateurish Photoshopping.