Videographer Employed by Skydiving Company Dies After Parachute Fails to Open

Videographer Sam Cornell (above) died last month.

A videographer, who was employed by a skydiving company, tragically died after his parachute failed to open.

Sam Cornell, a 46-year-old videographer who worked at British company Sky-High Skydiving, fell to his death in County Durham, U.K., on April 28 after his parachute failed.

According to Durham Police, Cornell was skydiving near Shotton airfield last month when his parachute failed to open. The late videographer’s employer Sky-High Skydiving operates out of Shotton airfield.

It is understood that Cornell landed on a factory roof on South West Industrial Estate in Shotton. The videographer, who is originally from Godshill on the Isle of Wight, U.K., endured critical injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Durham Police said that Cornell’s death was being treated as “unexpected” and inquiries remain ongoing.

Sky-High Skydiving paid tribute to Cornell in a statement. The company confirmed that an investigation will take place with the British Skydiving Board and Durham Police.

“We are all deeply saddened by the loss of a close friend, colleague, and talented member of our team, our skydiving family,” Sky-High Skydiving says in a statement.

“The British Skydiving Board will investigate the incident and when completed it will submit its findings to the relevant authorities.”

According to BBC News, the British Skydiving Board says that it has been informed about the “fatal accident” and that a report would be submitted to the police and other relevant authorities.

“The report will include the Board’s conclusions and will, make any recommendations if appropriate,” British Skydiving tells BBC News.

Durham Police believe that Cornell’s fall may have been witnessed by drivers using the nearby A19 road that day. Police have appealed for any U.K. individuals using the road at around 12:20 or to anyone who may have dashcam footage from that period, to call them on 101.

Last year, PetaPixel reported on a photographer, employed as a camera “flyer” at a skydiving company, who died after being critically injured during a routine jump.

The experienced camera operator, who was working for Skydive Mount Cook in New Zealand, is said to have encountered an unknown issue during his descent.

Image credits: Header photo via Facebook.