COOPH is back with another great video, this one featuring world-class travel photographer and TED speaker Chris Burkard. Burkard, who boasts over 2 million followers on Instagram, is here to share some tips on how you can “up your Instagram game” and get on his level.
The rapid fire tips video is punctuated by glorious photos and examples from Burkard’s own account, and even if you can’t afford to go on the amazing adventures he goes to, the advice still holds. Scroll down to read all 16 tips, or check out the video above for a more interactive experience:
- Only posting selfies is [boring]… Go on adventures and look for great light
- Use hyper lapse app and get speedy
- Keep it chill with slow-motion
- Keep it consistent: Same look & feel, same themes
- Use editing apps like VSCO & Snapseed
- Focus on telling a great story, write a great caption
- Add a location to your photo for higher engagement
- Only use relevant hashtags
- Use Instagram Stories to engage with your audience
- Search hashtags you love and drop likes & follows
- If you comment, most people will check out your account
- Look out for accounts that regram (like @thecooph)
- Share your Instagram handle everywhere (e-signature, website etc.)
- Stop monkeying around with #followback
- Stop ghost following
- Don’t steal other people’s photos, get out their and take your own
The one thing not mentioned here, probably because it’s a given, is that you have to post great work. Burkard has a signature style that’s immediately recognizable, but just as importantly, he creates spectacular work in that style.
Here are just a few examples that show up in the video:
Image credits: All photographs by Chris Burkard, courtesy of COOPH.