There’s a subgroup of film photographers who are dedicated to coming up with inventive new ways to distress film in order to achieve unexpected — and occasionally beautiful — results. Last year we shared that soaking film in rubbing alcohol does strange things to your images. Here’s another crazy idea: put a roll of film through the dishwasher. Photographer Tom Welland did just that and ended up with some vintage-looking photos.
Here’s what you do:
- Put a roll of film through a dishwasher wash cycle
- Let it sit around for a few days
- Pull it out of the can in a darkroom and dry it carefully using a hairdryer
- Roll the film back into the can
- Shoot and process the film like you normall would
Welland does warn that you should probably check with a commercial lab before you drop off dishwashed film — the film may ruin their processing chemicals.
Image credits: Photographs by Tom Welland