Earlier this week, the photography staff of the Orlando Sentinel in Florida was pulled into a meeting in which they were told that their current jobs are disappearing, and they will need to apply to new more ‘videocentric’ positions by tomorrow, Friday, February 28th.
The news is being reported by the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA), who was told directly by one of the affected member of the Sentinel’s staff.
According to the NPPA’s source, on Monday, the staff was pulled into a meeting with Todd Stewart — the newspaper’s design, graphics and multimedia editor and a man who had never met with the photography staff before that day. In that meeting he explained that their jobs were effectively gone, and that the would need to reapply for a new set of positions that will focus on creating more video content for the newspaper’s website.
The silver lining, if there is one here, is that these positions are only available to internal applications, so the staff photographers who are losing their jobs won’t have much competition for the new positions.
Still, according to the report, 13 positions will be affected and there will be only 5 photo-centric positions left to reapply for. The rest of the positions will be split between two ‘mobile photojournalists’ positions (exactly what it sounds like…), two video editing positions, two video coordinator positions and two manager’s positions.
The newspaper’s management believes that increasing the amount of video on the website will help to increase readership/viewership… we have our own opinions regarding the wisdom of sacrificing still photography jobs in order to do this. For more info, head over to the NPPA website and read the full report. And, as always, drop us a line and let us know what you think in the comments down below.
Photo Upheaval at Orlando Sentinel [via NPPA]
Image credits: Orlando Sentinel front page via Newseum