This morning we woke up to an interesting bit of data from Canon Professional Services in our inbox. A week after sharing some crazy photos of their Rio stockpile with us, Canon is sharing the top 10 pieces of gear they’re loaning out to sports photographers at the Olympics. Can you guess what they are?
We won’t make you wait long for an answer, and it should come as no surprise that the most popular loaner gear is focused on speed and reach: two of sports photographers’ best friends.
The top loaner, no surprise, is the Canon 1D X Mark II, followed by the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with 1.4x extender built in. Between those two pieces of gear, a sports photog can get 560mm of reach on a camera that can shoot at a blistering 14fps. Here’s the rest full list, complete with number of loaners:
- EOS 1D X Mark II | Loaned 285 Times
- EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X | Loaned 231 Times
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Loaned 211 Times
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Loaned 131 Times
- EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Loaned 130 Times
- EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM | Loaned 126 Times
- EOS 1D X | Loaned 123 Times
- EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM | Loaned 105 Times
- EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Loaned 84 Times
- EOS 1D X Mark II VIP and EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Both Loaned 77 Times
If you’re a budding sports photographer, we definitely suggest using this list as a guide when you’re looking through your favorite Olympic photos. This is the gear the photographers at the Olympics—some of the best sports photographers in the world no doubt—are asking for more often than anything else.