Even if you have a good command of using f-stop numbers and properly exposing photographs, you might not understand the math behind why f-stop numbers are what they are. Here’s a simple (albeit math-filled) explanation by Dylan Bennett of what f-stop is, including a simple trick you can use to memorize the f-stop scale.
A Simple Explanation of F-Stop Numbers
- Published on April 2, 2012 by Michael Zhang
Hot Stories Top 100
- Artist Sparks Outrage After Using Instagram to Share Her Vandalism of at Least 10 National Parks
- Camera+ For iPhone is Free Through November 16th; Here's How to Get It
- Video: The Golden Ratio vs. The Rule of Thirds
- A Photograph of Your Face in a Jar Makes for a Creepy Halloween Prank
- This Photographer Has an Interesting Technique for Keeping His Subjects' Eyes Glued to Him
- Shot Face: Portraits of People Captured Immediately After Taking a Shot of Booze
- GoPro Vs. Golf Club: See if a Naked GoPro Can Survive a Swing from a 9 Iron
- Cheap Camera Challenge: A Hole for a Viewfinder, No LCD, and No Idea if You're Actually Taking...
- What Would You Do if the Prime Minister of India Stole Your Photo?
- Steampunk Friends for Life: A Little Story About the Power of Networking as a Photographer
- Forgotten Beatles Photos Found After Nearly Half a Century
- Instagram Opens Up Signups Ahead of its Impending Arrival on Android
- Olympus Set to Unveil the E-5 DSLR
- Extremely Rare Gold-Plated Leica Luxus II Could Fetch $1.6 Million At Auction
- Putting a Creative, Timeless Spin on Wedding Photography with GIFs and Cinemagraphs