This is one of the most intense do-it-yourself videos I’ve seen, showing how to hack a Canon 18-55mm kit lens into a super macro lens for extreme closeup shots. It involves sawing, disassembling the lens, using wires from a floppy drive cable, and all sorts of advanced awesomeness. Unless you’re extremely good with your hands, you probably won’t be trying this, but it’s very interesting to watch nonetheless.
Transforming a Canon 18-55mm into a Super Macro Lens
- Published on June 21, 2010 by Michael Zhang
Hot Stories Top 100
- 10 Things Non-Photo People Do That Annoy the Crap Out of Photo Enthusiasts
- Humor: Local Woman Prints iPhone Photos, Leaving Friends and Family Shocked
- Things I Learned After My Photo Hit #1 on Reddit, and Why I Probably Shouldn't Have Posted It
- Curious Coincidence: Photo Shows Same Time and Place as Frame from Hitchcock's 'Vertigo'
- Best Photobomb Ever? Queen Sneaks Into Selfie at Commonwealth Games
- Understanding Aperture: Why Shooting Wide Open Isn't Always the Best Choice
- Nikon's D810 Beats Out Its Predecessors to Become DxOMark's Top Sensor
- No Cameras Allowed: Is it Real or Fake?
- Photographer Turns Her Spam Emails into Imagined Portraits of the Imaginary Senders
- Top 10 Rules of Travel Photography
- Beautiful Landscape Photographs Exposed Onto Handblown Glass Vessels
- Protect The Greatest Gift You Have as a Still Photographer
- Photographer Gets So Close to Lava That His Shoes and Tripod Catch on Fire
- Video of Air Canada Baggage Handlers Will Keep You from Ever Gate Checking Gear
- Toshiba’s New microSD Cards Set a Speed Record, Feature 8x Faster Write Speeds