The past two days have been filled with increasingly grim news following the catastrophic magnitude 7 earthquake in Haiti. If you had a chance to catch MSNBC’s coverage of the aftermath in the video above, there are some very powerful images.
Boston’s Big Picture also has some extremely moving photographs, which, without words, speak to the devastation and dire need in the small island country.
How to Help
Consider a compassionate donation to reputable charities — but a word of caution: donate DIRECTLY to charities and be wary of scams.
- Red Cross: Text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross in Haiti — via phone bill.
- Children’s Hunger Fund: $24 will give food and help to a needy family.
- Doctors Without Borders
- Mercy Corps
- Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti fund: Donate $5 by texting YELE to 501 501
- Compassion International: $35 helps provide a relief pack filled with enough food and water to sustain a family for one week.
- Samaritan’s Purse (Canada)
Update: Photographer Lane Hartwell (@lanehartwell) has created a magazine containing powerful photographs from various photojournalists have documented Haiti in the past. It’s being sold on MagCloud, and all proceeds will go to the Red Cross.