It’s likely one of the reasons Adobe decided to shift to a subscription model was so that they could bring in more beginners and amateurs that had never had affordable access to the software.
For them, justifying a several hundred-dollar purchase wasn’t always feasible, but $10 per month through Adobe’s perpetually-extended Photoshop Photography Program is more than reasonable, and so we’d bet there are more beginners on Photoshop CC than ever before. Now the hard part… actually using the software.
Super helpful Photoshop CC beginner tutorial to the rescue!
As Spiderman was told, “with great power comes great responsibility.” But while that does apply to Photoshop (think before you ‘shop folks) the better quote might be “with great power comes great confusion.”
You first time opening up Photoshop, especially if you’re only jumping on board now with Photoshop CC, is going to be confusing. You’ve seen some examples of the incredible art and photo manipulation capabilities of this program, but you don’t even know what a ‘mask’ is. Have no fear, Adobe is here to help.
In this recently released episode of Adobe Creative Cloud TV, Photoshop master Terry White shows you how to do the 10 things most beginners are wanting to do when they first open up the program. We won’t go into specifics — it took White 45 minutes of video to cover it and we don’t want to make you read a novel — but here’s quick list of what you’ll be covering in the tutorial:
- How to remove blemishes or ‘touch up’ a portrait (using the Spot Healing Tool)
- Working with Layers and Adjustment Layers
- Working with Masks
- How to Crop
- How to adjust exposure and fix colour-cast problems (using the Camera RAW filter)
- How to remove an object from a photo (using Content Aware Fill)
- How to move an object in a photo (using Content Aware Move) and duplicate/transform content
- How to remove a subject from a photo and place it on a new background (using Smart Select and Refine Edge)
- How to add text
- How to save your photos in both editable and sharable formats
Check out the video at the top to see all of these skills demonstrated. And if you’re just getting started with Photoshop of photography in general, be sure to head over to our Tutorials category! It’s packed full of interesting and helpful posts that’ll help make your first experiences in the world of photography much more enjoyable.