A couple of weeks ago, Apple announced a recall of “a limited number” of Mid-2015 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros because “the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk.” But if you thought that yours is probably fine and haven’t taken the time to check your serial yet, think again. As designer Steven Gagne recently discovered, the “fire safety risk” is very real.
Apple announced the recall on Thursday, June 20th, and it was probably in response to reports from users like Gagne, whose battery decided to blow up on Monday, June 17th.
In a Facebook post detailing what happen, Gagne shared several photos of the charred husk of his MacBook Pro, along with a description of the incident that could very well have burned his house down. “Monday night while we were in bed, the battery in my MacBook Pro blew and a small fire filled my house with smoke,” writes Gagne. “You can imagine how quickly I jumped out of bed. The sound of it was what first threw me for a loop; but then the smell of a strong chemical/burning smell is what got me.”
What’s even more troubling is that the computer wasn’t being used at all. It wasn’t even plugged in. According to Gagne, it was sitting there with “the screen closed, unplugged, and in Sleep Mode.” Luckily, the computer was sitting on a coffee table instead of inside a basket of notebooks where he usually keeps it. Not that it didn’t do some damage all the same:
The mid-2015 MacBook Pro has been called “the best laptop Apple ever made.” It was the last to feature an SD card slot, regular USB ports, and no touchbar. There’s no silly butterfly keyboard that breaks far too easily, and the touchpad is fantastic without being absolutely massive.
In short, it’s a favorite among photographers. A model that’s still purchased used off of eBay all the time. And if you own one, we recommend heading over to the Apple Support Page and checking your serial number right away.
Image credits: Photographs by Steven Gagne and used with permission.