Even if you have a good command of using f-stop numbers and properly exposing photographs, you might not understand the math behind why f-stop numbers are what they are. Here’s a simple (albeit math-filled) explanation by Dylan Bennett of what f-stop is, including a simple trick you can use to memorize the f-stop scale.
Hot Stories Top 100
- Photo of Woman Glued to Her Phone Wins the 2014 National Geographic Photo Contest
- This Photographer Transforms His Dog Into Different Animals Every Holiday Season
- Comparing the Image Quality of Film and Digital
- Photographs of Oymyakon, the Coldest Village on the Face of the Earth
- Fan Gets Karate Kicked by Guitarist While Snapping an On-Stage Selfie
- Columnist: Prince Harry Photographing Africans with Fujifilm X100 is 'Arrogant' and 'Colonial'
- Megatron is Not a Fan of Selfies
- How to Harness Your Fear to Become a More Confident Street Photographer
- Brooklyn Street Photographer Andre D. Wagner Talks Us Through His Photographic Process
- There's a Nikon 2000mm f/11 on eBay, Complete with a Lens Cap and Carrying Case