Photographer Don Barnard made this video tutorial showing how to convert a styrofoam shipping box into a DIY softbox. The video is pretty in-depth and runs nearly 10 minutes, but the basic idea is to line the inside of the box with some reflective material, stick a strong light inside, and cover it with some cloth to soften the light. It’s a neat way to make a useful lighting tool for under $20. Check out some sample photos taken with the softbox here.
Hot Stories Top 100
- Humor: Local Woman Prints iPhone Photos, Leaving Friends and Family Shocked
- 10 Things Non-Photo People Do That Annoy the Crap Out of Photo Enthusiasts
- Top 10 Rules of Travel Photography
- Eerie and Fascinating Photos of a Completely Empty New York City Taken in 1964
- Video: Blind Photographer Shows Us What it Really Means to 'See'
- Student and Photo Enthusiast Takes His Own Grad Photo, Blows Away the Standard Grad Shot
- Best Photobomb Ever? Queen Sneaks Into Selfie at Commonwealth Games
- Border Official Threatens Boy Scout with 10 Years in Prison and $10K Fine for Taking a Picture
- Understanding Aperture: Why Shooting Wide Open Isn't Always the Best Choice
- Arab-American Journalist's Kiss Photo with Israeli Boyfriend Becomes Viral Symbol of Peace