Photographer Don Barnard made this video tutorial showing how to convert a styrofoam shipping box into a DIY softbox. The video is pretty in-depth and runs nearly 10 minutes, but the basic idea is to line the inside of the box with some reflective material, stick a strong light inside, and cover it with some cloth to soften the light. It’s a neat way to make a useful lighting tool for under $20. Check out some sample photos taken with the softbox here.
Hot Stories Top 100
- National Geographic Lists Its Top 10 Compact Cameras for Travelers
- GoPro HERO4 Revealed! 4K Video at 30FPS and the First Built-In Touch Display
- Nixie: A Tiny Flying Camera Drone You Wear On Your Wrist
- GoPro to Launch a Cheaper, Low-End Action Camera Simply Called the HERO. Here It Is.
- Judging America: A Series of Jarring Portrait GIFs that Alternate Between Judgement and Reality
- The Types of People You Find in a NEW Photographer Facebook Group
- A Breathtaking Motion Time-Lapse Tour of Norway
- Dream Creatures: Reflected Images of Tree Bark Reveal the Faces Hiding in the Forest
- Lens Comparison Shows Off a Big Advantage of Micro Four Thirds: No Future Back Surgery
- Extreme Weather and Your Camera: How to Get the Shot and Protect Your Gear