Here’s a short and sweet video in which photographer/entrepreneur Gary Fong shares his “red hallway” trick for turning a drab background into something colorful. The basic idea is to trick your camera into thinking the world is a certain color by doing custom white balancing with a colored gel in front of the lens. Once you have the WB set, use the gel over your flash to color balance your subject while the background is transformed.
The Red Hallway Trick: Using a Colored Gel to Spice Up Your Background
- Published on July 2, 2012 by Michael Zhang
Hot Stories Top 100
- Pranksters Put Up Fake 'Shot on iPhone 6' Ads Next to Real Apple Billboards
- Check Out the Nikon P900's Ridiculous 83x Zoom
- Instagram Censors Photo of Fully Clothed Woman on Period, Causes Uproar
- Hike-Lapse: Man Walks the 2,600 Miles from Mexico to Canada and Snaps a Selfie Every Mile
- Just the Lenses: The Great 200mm Shootout
- Photographers Shooting in West Virginia Reportedly Harassed and Detained by 'Mob'
- Amazon Announces Unlimited Photo Storage for Just $12 a Year
- InstantFlex TL70 is a Rolleiflex Twin-Lens Reflex Clone for Instax Instant Photos
- An Automated Slide Film Scanner Built with LEGOs
- Buying or Selling Used Gear on Craigslist? Arrange the Meetup at a Police Station